Tuesday 2 March 2010

59) I am just a Platelet making machine!!!!

I have been to the hospital for Velcade, blood was taken for weekly records but they went ahead with velcade treatment on last Fridays platelets result of 68.
When the results came up they were all very close to Fridays results but my platelets had shot up from 68 to a massive 72, I am just a platelet making machine, 72 is still low in general but great for me.
I expect platelets to drop by next Tuesday because of the velcade but who knows. All sounds good to me.
Only had one problem, a drip was put into the back of my right hand for the blood test, fluids and velcade, after the blood test I was waiting for fluids when the back of my hand swelled in a minute to half golf ball size, it was quickly removed and bandaged (I won't play on it, honest). The fluids and velcade were then administered via the right hand and all was well.

Thanks to Dave and Di for stepping in to take Jess to her work experience at Blue Planet today. It's great having such a circle of friends who you know you can call on at a moments notice, it takes so much pressure off this difficult situation that would be almost impossible to handle on our own.

2 comments:

  1. Blue Planet for work experience sounds pretty awesome - good for Jess! (Sweeping or swimming?)
    The old leaking veins trick, eh? It's a bit of a bind isn't it? On the other hand (sorry, I know...) the increased platelet count is very good news indeed. Keep it up (your hand that is)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter
    Blue planet is great and they run a fantastic set of activities for the children, I sweated blood (no pun intended)to get this for her, many phone calls and several trips to blue planet to finalise for her. Next week Jess is at Oakwood School.

    As far as the swelling vein, it went up like a balloon, am keeping covered over night to save any leaks.

    ReplyDelete