Saturday 19 December 2009

4) Thoughts on the last few days

Myeloma is like a ticking time bomb (thats how it feels to me) we just didn't expect it to tick so fast.

I went to hospital on Tuesday for a pre-arranged blood test, Ann took me and all was well until the results, Jamie my Macmillian nurse (support and friend) was shocked to see the way the blood had changed after good results in October.

After the few minutes of stunned silence he went away and made a plan. WITHIN 2 HOURS he had finance confirmed with the Prof, Doctors checking possible next steps and the plan was made by 4 o'clock.

Since Tuesday I have had results, a platelet transfusion, a plasma exchange on 2 separate days (Wed/Thu) and started the Velcade therapy (Friday)

It wasn't the news we wanted but it has happened and we will get on with it, where else in the world could I have such great treatment? God Bless the NHS.

I can't thank Jamie, the hospital, friends and family enough for your care, prayers, thoughts, good wishes and just for being there. I thank God for technology, without it there wouldn't have been prayers being offered from all around the world within hours of diagnosis. Don't ask "Why Me", Just be thankful for what and who you have.

Don't wait for something bad to happen before you start enjoying life.

Thank God and God Bless you all.

9 comments:

  1. I loved reading your positive comments in this message Ivan.Lots of love F x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivan, I have a couple of MacMillan collection boxes on my bedside table that I fill with my loose change at the end of the day. Every so often I go to one of those change machines in the supermarket and convert my change to notes then either pay the money in at a MacMillan collection point or send a cheque to their local office. Then I start all over again with my empty boxes. It's nice to see that my (relatively small)donations are going to a worthy cause and helping to fund an organisation that is there for people like you. It makes me want to fill the boxes up more quickly:-).
    Stay strong mate.
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Martin, things like this warm the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ivan Good to see you are being positive again Keep your chin up and God Bless

    Love

    Dot and Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dot and Richard.
    We have 2 choices, sit and moan or move on from today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words are just so right - Im looking out of the window with the snow falling and thinking of all the beautiful things in this world. (me being one of them of course!!! we are often guilty of looking around and seeing only sad things - you, my friend have taught me taught me the gift of humility. Hang on in there - I will take you for a spin over christmas!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx Kate xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. you know me kate, heart on sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ivan,
    The MacMillan nurses do a fantastic job. I, like Martin, will make sure I do something this year to raise money for them. I will speak to school council members and ask them for ideas for a fund raiser in the New Year. You're an inspiration for us all to enjoy life and every day it offers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for that, it would be a great project for the school council, maybe I could come and chat with them about it too.

    ReplyDelete